Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Abstinence

When i first read that we were going to have to do a blog about going 24 hours without get on the computer and how my day would function without it. Then it occurred to me that i stay pretty busy throughout the day anyway without even realizing i get on the computer. I am an athlete and our schedules are pretty hectic anyways and we have a lot to do within our day that has to do with athletics.
I started my day off by going to practice for three hours, after our three hour practice I got treatment for bout an hour. Then I went home and became productive by sitting down and doing homework that I could do without getting online for a couple of hours and just be productive at that, after I was done with that I did some laundry and watched a movie.
It affects your way of communication because it cuts you off from the people that you don't talk to on a regular basis from even connecting with them through email and instant messaging, I feel like that was the most difficult part of not being able to be online because I had wrote a couple of friends the night before and I was waiting to hear there responses back to my questions and wondering how they had been because I hadn't talk to these people in a while. Also this made me call people and talk on the phone a lot more then I really wanted to because I'm not a person who is always on the phone or wants to be when I can just email somebody and check the message later, you always have people you don't want to talk to sometimes that you rather talk to them by text or email so that you don't have to hear them on the phone cause they might talk and talk and talk. This made me communicate the old fashion way and not use the technology that I'm so use to using.
It affects how you spend your time because it makes you do other things that you wouldn't normally spend that much time on doing. You had to be productive on like cleaning that house, doing those dishes that have been sitting there for a couple of days, making you read the paper for scores and highlights, reading magazines and spending time with other people in person rather then just online. It makes the things that were less priority before, more of a priority now because you don't waste your day on the computer all day. I don't think you realize how much time you really spend on the computer until you have to put it down for a day or even a couple hours. Its almost like it has inabled us from things because we spend so much time on the internet. There is so much access to it that we almost take it for granted.
I felt like doing this wasn't really a big deal, I wasn't addicted to the internet that bad for me to not be productive by doing other things but it did kind of bug me that I couldn't check my email all day but then I got over it. It was a good test to go without a major part of technology.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

WOW it seems like your experience with this assignment could almost be positive! It is nice to hear that not all people rely so heavily on technology these days. I also think that it is funny that you don't like being on the phone, I am the same way and during my 24 hours of abstinence the phone became my new found best friend. Do you felt like this experience was an eye opener for you? Did you enjoy that challenge or were you just frustrated? I know many times I felt lost and out of sync with the rest of the population. But I also believe that something like this reassures us as young technology communicators that we don't have to use the internet, it is more convenience that we are accustomed to rather than a necessity.

Latu Moala said...

I can really relate to you. I myself am a student athlete and we get caught up with workouts and practice so we barely have time to go on the internet. It's funny how at first we think the assignment would be hard, but when we actually do the assignment we find out that it really isn't such a big deal. I don't like talking on the phone either but my girlfriend forces me to stay on the phone with her. But anyways, your experience with this assignment was similar to mines.

griffdan said...

For you, the internet is more of a habit or convenience than a necessity. It used to be the phone was the preferred method of communication and it did allow for some anonymity like when you called strangers or businesses. But now it is the internet CMC. We've all bought into the convenience and speed, not really considering what it is doing to us. I agree that this project was an eye-opener to our habit. Makes us stop and think but only for a second before we sit down and start typing.