Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Letter

The letters that we had to do for this week I thought were very thoughtful. I felt like this assignment was a lot then what we had been doing the previous weeks and I felt like they would be very meaningful to the people that we were giving them too.
I wrote a hand written letter to my grandfather and I wrote an email to my high school coach. The letter to my grandfather was very long because he has had a very great impact on my life and will always have a great impact on my life until he is know longer here. I wrote a letter to him and sent it to him because he doesn’t get on the computer at all unless he really has to and then his children get on the computer for him and help him out. He’s not very good with technology because it’s just to advanced for him. That is what made me send it by mail because he will go to the mail box everyday and check to see if he has anything from the mailman. He was more likely to get the mail then get on the computer, plus he doesn’t even have email at all. The language in the letter was very different from the letter with my coach. The language and tone was very personal and more about how he’s been an influence in my life because of the time he spent with me as a kid and just being a great role model and how to live my life. Plus he taught me how to play ball, he was very rough and physical with me and he taught me how to stick up for myself and not let anybody push me around.
The letter I wrote by email to my coach was also a personal letter because even though he was my coach he also taught me a lot about basketball and about life. I felt like we had a very close relationship and that’s why we were able to accomplish a lot of goals on the basketball floor. What I mean by that is we won league titles, we went to the state tournament, these were goals that we had in common that we wanted to accomplish, and we were two very competitive people. I wanted to write the letter because I wanted to thank him for making me a better player, we would go to the gym and shoot extra shots, we would sit down and watch game film of what I needed to improve on and what I need to keep doing that was working . Also just the conversations that helped me get over my frustrations with basketball and just the conversations about life and teaching me something new everyday. The tone and language was about the same as the letter that I sent to my grandfather. Very personal and meaningful.
The letters that I sent had a lot of similarities because they were both personal and long letters; I had a lot to tell them about how they influenced my life and how they both meant a lot to me. The other similarity that I had with both letters was about sports. My grandfather taught me the game of basketball and my coach helped make me better on the basketball court. They both taught me something about the game and for that I am forever grateful. The differences in the letters was that the personal information was different, what I said to them and the influence that they had were on two different levels and weren’t the same type of information. The responses that I got was overwhelming because my grandfather called me and just cried, but they were tears of joy because he was so proud of how I have grown up and he was just so impressed that I wrote a letter to him because he wasn’t expecting it at all. My coach was also thankful to have coached me and jut happy that I have accomplished what I have on and off the court. He knew that I had gone through a lot of adversity in college with my college coaches and being sick with mono and just the transition. He has been happy how I’ve handled myself and glad that he can watch me play again.
What I got from sending a hand written letter instead of using technology was that it was kind of weird because we are so use to sending things by email and using all this technology that it was great to do it the old fashion was and just even hear their responses by phone because they wanted to tell me and hear my voice. The human connection was a great feeling and it was better then receiving the email response.

2 comments:

Latu Moala said...

The letters I wrote were quite similar to yours. I wrote letters to my junior college football coach and my dad. Instead of writing the letter to my dad, I sent the hand written letter to my coach and the email to my dad. My dad usually is good at modern technology so that is why I sent him the email. And plus I talk to him all the time. I sent my coach the hand written letter because I don't talk to him that often because he is always busy. And also because I can put more time into writing the letter.
It seems appropriate that you sent your grandfather the hand written letter because I know if I was a grandfather, I would want my grandkids to write me hand written letters because it shows that you put more time into it. Great post!

Daniel Drayton said...

Once I found out the two people that you selected to write letters too right away I knew who you sent the letter to via mail and who received the letter via email. I defiantly can relate to you in terms of technology being way to advance for my grandparents. Its also funny how they make checking the mail a daily chore and we on the other hand make checking our email our daily chore. I think it’s a good thing to have a coach and older grandparent to talk to when things aren’t going your way. I think writing a letter and thanking a someone randomly can truly catch them off guard and their emotions may always get the best of them.